Your Gift Makes Balboa Park Better
The Annual Fund fuels the Conservancy’s work to sustain, enhance and envision your Balboa park.
Can you imagine San Diego without Balboa Park?
This year due to COVID-19 we lost access to our most meaningful Balboa Park experiences. What did you miss most? The romantic gardens or cool shade of a Coast Live Oak? Dancing in the plaza for Food Truck Fridays? Dusty trail runs or dog park playdates? Your stories remind us that Balboa Park is essential. Your gifts help us sustain and enhance this precious place.
What does my gift support?
The annual fund provides critical operating revenue to the Balboa Park Conservancy each year. Your unrestricted giving allows the Conservancy to invest in park priorities and areas of greatest need.
Examples of what annual fund support helps us do:
- Welcomed the city’s Rose Garden Volunteers, 80 in total, to the Conservancy’s parkwide corps, allowing this skilled and passionate crew to continue their care of these beloved blooms;
- Completed a series of historic garden renovations in collaboration with organizations like Friends of Balboa Park, Committee of 100, Rotary 33 and the California Conservation Corps;
- Donated 60% construction documents to The City of San Diego for the restoration of Balboa Park’s Botanical Building and gardens—a public-private project partnership between the Conservancy and the City;
- Created a virtual visitor center with online chat support, designed two new brochures, and continue to provide safe visitor services and amenities;
- Manage Tree Balboa Park, a $700,000+ reforestation and education project with Cal Fire, the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, Tree San Diego and Urban Corps;
- Create data-driven reports like the Balboa Park Benefits Study and use cutting edge software like Tree Plotter, which help us make wiser decisions and advocate for more park resources;
- Launch and maintain park-wide volunteer initiatives that enhance our visitor experience;
- Develop and implement garden and building restoration plans that revitalize our most treasured public spaces.
Making a gift to the annual fund enables the Conservancy to sustain, enhance and envision the best version of Balboa Park possible, in partnership with our friends at Parks and Recreation and in collaboration with other park stakeholders
With your gift to the annual fund, the Conservancy will continue to improve Balboa Park. You can look forward to:
- First installments of the new parkwide Signage & Wayfinding system;
- New plantings in the Casa del Rey Moro Garden;
- The launch of Garden Stewards, a new gardening volunteer corp, with initial online training and orientation for new recruits;
- Urban forest management—the care and planting of new trees;
- Custom tours and expanded Park Ambassador support.
The Balboa Park Conservancy continues to work in partnership with The City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, and other key stakeholders, to ensure that your Balboa Park, all 1200 acres, is not only maintained but enhanced to the world class level it deserves. Balboa Park will be a beautiful, safe and welcoming place for all people to find inspiration, community, recreation and solace. Balboa Park is for everyone.