Twice the Impact in Balboa Park
It’s a Collaboration Campaign.
As a park advocate, you understand that the well-being of our community depends largely on the vitality of our parks. During the past year, your generosity has enabled our staff and volunteers to continue to care for Balboa Park—safely welcoming visitors to explore the outdoors, making visible improvements in gardens and courtyards, and creating an inspired and restorative experience when so much of life was in upheaval. We’ve also undertaken a major endeavor to strengthen our support for Balboa Park.
Effective July 1, the Balboa Park Conservancy and Friends of Balboa Park will merge into a single organization, leveraging one another’s resources and expertise to enhance support for Balboa Park through combined fundraising, advocacy, projects and programs. Your stories remind us that Balboa Park is essential. Your gifts help us sustain and enhance this precious place.
To jumpstart this partnership, several dedicated donors teamed up to offer a dollar-for-dollar match of donations to either organization up to $100,000 through June 30.
Today we ask you to give a gift, and double your park impact.
What does my gift support?
The Collaboration Campaign provides critical operating revenue to the Balboa Park Conservancy and the Friends of Balboa Park as they come together in a new organization. Your unrestricted giving allows us to invest in park priorities and areas of greatest need.
Examples of what annual fund support helps us do:
- Welcomed the city’s Rose Garden Volunteers, 80 in total, to the Conservancy’s parkwide corps, allowing this skilled and passionate crew to continue their care of these beloved blooms;
- Completed a series of historic garden renovations in collaboration with organizations like Friends of Balboa Park, Committee of 100, Rotary 33 and the California Conservation Corps;
- Donated 60% construction documents to The City of San Diego for the restoration of Balboa Park’s Botanical Building and gardens—a public-private project partnership between the Conservancy and the City;
- Created a virtual visitor center with online chat support, designed two new brochures, and continue to provide safe visitor services and amenities;
- Manage Tree Balboa Park, a $700,000+ reforestation and education project with Cal Fire, the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, Tree San Diego and Urban Corps;
- Create data-driven reports like the Balboa Park Benefits Study and use cutting edge software like Tree Plotter, which help us make wiser decisions and advocate for more park resources;
- Launch and maintain park-wide volunteer initiatives that enhance our visitor experience;
- Develop and implement garden and building restoration plans that revitalize our most treasured public spaces.
Making a gift to the Collaboration Campaign enables us to sustain, enhance and envision the best version of Balboa Park possible, in partnership with our friends at Parks and Recreation and in collaboration with other park stakeholders
With your monthly giving we will continue to improve Balboa Park. You can look forward to:
- First installments of the new parkwide Signage & Wayfinding system;
- New plantings in the Casa del Rey Moro Garden;
- The launch of Garden Stewards, a new gardening volunteer corp, with initial online training and orientation for new recruits;
- Urban forest management—the care and planting of new trees;
- Placemaking in areas like the Palisades and Plaza de Panama;
- Custom tours and expanded Park Ambassador support.
The Balboa Park Conservancy continues to work in partnership with The City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, and other key stakeholders, to ensure that your Balboa Park, all 1200 acres, is not only maintained but enhanced to the world class level it deserves. Balboa Park will be a beautiful, safe and welcoming place for all people to find inspiration, community, recreation and solace. Balboa Park is for everyone.