Balboa Park Tree Stewards
The Conservancy is preserving, protecting, and renewing Balboa Park’s urban forest with the help of tree lovers like YOU.
Balboa Park’s collection of more than 15,000 trees is an extraordinary asset to our region. However, their adequate care requires dedicated support from the community. Tree Stewards are specially trained to monitor newly planted trees, general health conditions of existing trees, soil moisture surrounding new trees, including identifying irrigation needs, and possible pest infestation. The Balboa Park Conservancy proudly partners with Tree San Diego to monitor Balboa Park trees through our volunteer Balboa Park Tree Stewards program. Join our team and have another great reason to spend more time in beautiful Balboa Park!
Please email our Volunteer Coordinator for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is an active waitlist for this program.
Become a Balboa Park Tree Steward
Bring your passion — we’ll provide the training.
Through our custom Tree Stewards training program, you’ll gain skills in tree identification, proper planting techniques, irrigation and watering of new and established trees, and general tree maintenance issues.
We generally prefer that Tree Stewards work in teams of two, depending on your assigned zone, as a secondary responsibility is to act as the eyes and ears of the Parks and Rec Department, alerting staff to concerns in your zone of the park.
What Does It Take?
To become a Balboa Park Tree Steward you need to be:
- Passionate about trees
- Interested in learning to identify different trees
- Able to walk around the park in a predetermined zone to observe and monitor trees
- Willing to give 6-8 hours of your time each month, in 2-4 hour shifts
- Available to complete 20 hours of orientation training
- Able to remain outdoors during your shift
- Able to set up/take down shade structure with help of partner
- Over the age of 18
- Willing to complete a background check and fingerprinting (at no cost to you)
- Able to make a 1-year commitment
Tree Steward Benefits:
- Be a part of a team that supports environmental sustainability and human health
- Receive free training for proficiency in planting, watering, and monitoring the San Diego region’s trees
- Receive formal certification for each skill set you master
- Contribute to a resilient urban forest in one of the world’s most iconic parks
- Engage in exciting and meaningful work with like-minded volunteers and professionals
- Meet new friends
- Leave a legacy for future generations
Please email our Volunteer Coordinator for more information at email@example.com. There is an active waitlist for this program.
All positions are filled at this time.