Make Balboa Park a Better Place
At the Balboa Park Conservancy, your job becomes part of your legacy.
When you join our team, you have the opportunity to sustain and enhance San Diego’s crown jewel and one of the Best Parks in the World. As a small nonprofit, we are collaborative, data-driven and start-up minded. Together, you can help us advocate for the greater good of Balboa Park.
Only applications for current job openings are considered. We are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions—please, NO phone calls. Balboa Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Balboa Park Conservancy
1549 El Prado, Ste. 1
San Diego, CA 92101
Cover letter and resumes to: HR@balboapark.org
Position Title: Volunteer Project Manager
Reports to: Director of Planning, Design and Programs
Department of Labor Classification: Exempt
The Volunteer Project Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of the volunteer programs, including recruitment, training and scheduling of individual and group volunteers and interns. The Volunteer Project Manager works closely with the Director of Planning, Design, and Programs.
- Maintain and grow volunteer base through outreach to individuals, community-based organizations and groups, colleges/universities, and corporations as needed.
- Work closely with all project and program departments to periodically assess needs for volunteer expertise and level of volunteer staffing.
- Develop/refine and maintain process to recruit, train and manage volunteer corps.
- Support and help execute the Service Enterprise Model (SEM).
- Develop and implement a volunteer engagement program consistent with SEM (newsletters, recognition, etc.).
- Identify and establish volunteer experience verticals (Visitors Center, Tree Stewards, Garden Stewards, Park Ambassadors, Admin/Events, etc.).
- Follow up with engaged and interested prospective volunteers, including but not limited to: review applications, check references and interview potential individual volunteers, assess interests/skills of prospective volunteers and match with appropriate activities.
- Enter and maintain data in the volunteer management database (Volgistics).
- Assure volunteers track served hours.
- Participate on the Conservancy’s Volunteer Engagement Committee.
- Help prepare volunteer position descriptions with appropriate managers.
- Help prepare cost benefit analysis for volunteer positions and provide accurate and timely volunteer data for funder and volunteer-requested reports.
- Distribute and schedule volunteer opportunities and shifts to volunteers.
- Work with External Relations staff to promote volunteer opportunities on social media platforms and in-person outreach post COVID-19.
- Help managers define, schedule and conduct appropriate volunteer training and orientation to the Conservancy as a whole and to their specific duties.
- Manage comprehensive orientation process for new volunteers.
- Engage with existing volunteers daily and provide feedback and additional guidance as needed.
- Maintain ongoing communications with volunteers through Mailchimp email news blasts, newsletters and print materials.
- Plan and execute volunteer appreciation and training activities.
- Develop and administer annual volunteer satisfaction survey; compile and report results to leadership staff and Board of Directors.
- Work occasional Saturdays or holidays at request as needed.
- Coordinate park improvement projects with and without volunteers.
- Work with construction and landscape vendors to design, plan and install park improvement projects.
- Coordinate and schedule park partner meetings as well as construction vendor work schedules.
- Assist with placemaking projects by coordinating with park partners and vendors.
- Assist with coordinating stakeholder input and feedback for project presentations to various committees (Parks and Recreation Board, Balboa Park Committee, etc.).
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in comparable role
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Effective communicator
- Needs to work well both independently and with a team and display excellent follow through and be self-motivated
- Capacity to take direction and embrace constructive feedback
- Ability to work professionally and collaboratively in a team setting and semi-open office environment
- Strong attention to detail, yet able to see the broader picture
- Proficient with basic office software and applications (e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive and mail platforms). Experience with design software (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to set up and take down 5×5 canopy for volunteer info booths
- Some bending, stooping and kneeling
- Sitting for significant time at a desk working with a computer
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Visual acuity to perform tasks
- Ability to receive and document detailed information through oral communication
Formally Adopted by the Board of Trustees on January 9, 2018
The Balboa Park Conservancy is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of its staff, visitors, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and donors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
The Balboa Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant.