Make Balboa Park a Better Place
At the Balboa Park Conservancy, your job becomes part of your legacy.
When you join our team, you have the opportunity to sustain and enhance San Diego’s crown jewel and one of the Best Parks in the World. As a small nonprofit, we are collaborative, data-driven and start-up minded. Together, you can help us advocate for the greater good of Balboa Park.
Only applications for current job openings are considered. We are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions—please, NO phone calls. Balboa Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Balboa Park Conservancy
1549 El Prado, Ste. 1
San Diego, CA 92101
Cover letter and resumes to: HR@balboapark.org
Major Gifts officer
Reports To: Sarah Beckman, Director of External Relations
Department of Labor Classification: Exempt
About the Position:
The Major Gifts Officer supports the mission of the Balboa Park Conservancy to provide expertise, advocacy and resources to envision, enhance and sustain Balboa Park for all visitors in partnership with the City of San Diego and in collaboration with other organizations in the Park and the community.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the strategy, cultivation, and solicitation of individual major gifts) for both unrestricted and restricted gifts with special emphasis on the Botanical Building & Gardens, a three-year capital campaign. This position ensures a collaborative, holistic approach to donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Essential Job Functions Include:
- Donor Engagement and Solicitation – Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Conservancy’s case for support, mission, annual fundraising opportunities, and community needs to articulate the priorities and fundraising objectives to donors and prospects.
- Portfolio Management–Manages a portfolio of donor and prospect files documenting face to face visits, correspondence, or other donor activityConduct basic prospect research.
- Prospect Research- Prepares research and develop basic profiles on individuals. corporations and foundations for potential philanthropic support, areas of interest and other affiliations.
- Communication — Cultivate and solicit major gifts in a way that allows the donor’s philanthropic interests to advance the organization’s highest priorities.
- Management and Collaboration – Oversees work of Campaign Coordinator (when hired), and works closely with the Philanthropy Coordinator. Works closely with the Major Gifts Committee to ensure overall success of the development function. Coordinates with team members for related fundraising activities, including mid-level donors, annual fund, and special events.
- Documentation, Metrics, and Reporting – Identifies key fundraising metrics and develops reports to manage progress. Maintains donor tracking and systems via the CRM system. Develops documentation and works closely with communications, finance, and grants.
- Advocacy – In concert with the approved messaging and brand, promotes the Balboa Park Conservancy for the greatest impact and success.
The position reports directly to the Director of External Relations and is:
- Passionate about the mission of Balboa Park Conservancy and the community served by park assets;
- Highly motivated to raise funds to support the Balboa Park Conservancy;
- Able to develop and implement strategies for successfully closing major gifts;
- Known to be relationship-driven with a proven track record of successful donor cultivation;
- Highly collaborative with the Balboa Park Conservancy Board, staff and volunteers to achieve overall goals.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in nonprofit management, public affairs, communications, or related field.
- Five years of successful fundraising experience that includes major gifts.
- Experience in related fundraising practices (e.g., donor relations, engagement, planned-giving, annual fund, event management).
Competencies, Skills, and Abilities
- Strategic mindset and ability to develop and implement plans to maximize philanthropic giving from the assigned portfolio and major-gift donors.
- Broad knowledge of fund development principles, strategies, and tactics.
- Relationship-driven, with ability to build interpersonal networks with integrity and trust.
- Manage ambiguity and be flexible in responding to the needs of a fast-moving and dynamic department.
- Persuasion skills and political savvy in working with a diverse set of donors, stakeholders, funders, community leaders and volunteers.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication abilities (verbal, written, and presentation).
- Ability to work some overtime, evenings, and weekends for fundraising-related events.
- Knowledge of Balboa Park
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Some bending stooping and kneeling
- Sitting for significant time at a desk working with a computer
- Ability to communicate orally and written
- Visual acuity to perform tasks
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication
Job Posting Closes 10-31-20
Formally Adopted by the Board of Trustees on January 9, 2018
The Balboa Park Conservancy is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of its staff, visitors, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and donors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
The Balboa Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant.