Make Balboa Park a Better Place
At the Balboa Park Conservancy, your job becomes part of your legacy.
When you join our team, you have the opportunity to sustain and enhance San Diego’s crown jewel and one of the Best Parks in the World. As a small nonprofit, we are collaborative, data-driven and start-up minded. Together, you can help us advocate for the greater good of Balboa Park.
Only applications for current job openings are considered. We are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions—please, NO phone calls. Balboa Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Balboa Park Conservancy
1549 El Prado, Ste. 1
San Diego, CA 92101
Cover letter and resumes to: HR@balboapark.org
We’re looking for people to join the team who are community-driven and passionate about Balboa Park.
Director of Visitor Experience
Reports to: Sarah Beckman, Director of External Relations
Department of Labor Classification: Exempt
Job Summary: The Director of Visitor Experience enhances every person’s visit to Balboa Park through their leadership and direction for the Balboa Park Visitors Center operations and related guest services–including but not limited to the Information Desk, Gift Shop, Park Ambassadors, custom tours, community outreach and special events.
- Direct and support the efforts of the Information Desk staff and volunteers, retail staff, special event volunteers, Park Ambassador volunteers and custom tour guides.
- Serve as an advocate for the needs of all visitors in the planning and implementation of Conservancy initiatives and park programs.
- Ensure that all aspects of the Visitors Center and immediate surrounding area remain safe, welcoming, and clean in collaboration with Conservancy’s facilities and maintenance staff and Park personnel as needed.
- Responsible for $1.2 million annual budget and planning to include capital expenditures and creative revenue generation; prepare and compile monthly and annual reports and statistics
- Collaborate with volunteer manager to recruit, train, evaluate and retain staff and volunteers for year round and/or seasonal work as necessary.
- Create data-driven systems to ensure retail revenue is maximized
- Develop and enhance relationships with Park organizations, City of San Diego Parks & Recreation Department staff, San Diego Tourism Authority and other key stakeholders.
- Represent and promote the Balboa Park Visitors Center at meetings, workshops and events
- Lead the Balboa Park Visitors Center Meetings.
- Work with the retail team to conform to the Visitors Center retail store Obsolescence Policy and Purchasing Policy
- Assist other Conservancy team members
- Reconcile and prepare weekly deposit for armored car pick-up
- Meet with vendors, Retail Store Manager and buyer as needed
- Collaborate with Conservancy’s marketing team to develop custom Balboa Park merchandise
- Reconcile employee time cards
- Process and or approve all expenditures for goods for sale and related expenses.
- Attend gift shows and other merchandise shows as needed
- Plan and implement formal and informal ways of expressing appreciation for staff & volunteers.
- Support the Annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. Lead the annual volunteer recruitment and operation of four information stations for December Nights.
- Research and implement new revenue streams.
- Assist the retail team with the Annual Inventory Count
- Work retail counter and information counter when required.
- Open/close visitors center when required
- Order supplies for the visitors center including gift shop
- Assist with the setup of pop-up stores for special events
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor degree preferred but not required
- 5 years Visitor Services/hospitality experience preferred
- Retail/Customer/Visitor Service experience required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of Balboa Park
- Excel and Word proficient
Physical and Mental Job Requirements:
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Some climbing
- Some bending stooping and kneeling
- Sitting for significant time at a desk working with a computer
- Ability to communicate orally and written
- Visual Acuity to perform tasks
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication
- Required to work some holidays, weekends and evenings on occasion
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of all everyday duties the employee is expected to perform.
All qualified candidates please submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.
Formally Adopted by the Board of Trustees on January 9, 2018
The Balboa Park Conservancy is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of its staff, visitors, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and donors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
The Balboa Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant.