Become a Park Ambassador
The Balboa Park Conservancy proudly partners with the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department to welcome and inform our park visitors through our volunteer Park Ambassador program. Park Ambassadors greet visitors, give directions, provide current information on park history, attractions and events, and answer other park-related questions. Join our team and you’ll have a great reason to spend more time in beautiful Balboa Park!
Park Ambassadors are on the frontline, greeting visitors and offering current information on what to see and do in Balboa Park. They are friendly and knowledgeable volunteers, providing up-to-date details about the museums, history, gardens, and other park attractions that people can enjoy that day. Ambassadors are briefed daily about any special events in the park, and about any attraction closures or traffic issues. Our Park Ambassadors work in teams of two, positioned outdoors in three major plazas in the historic center of the park, where they also act as the eyes and ears of the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, alerting park staff to maintenance needs and safety issues when they arise.
We’re looking for volunteers who are:
- Over the age of 18
- Enthusiastic and outgoing
- Effective communicators; bilingual skills very helpful
- San Diegans with prior knowledge of Balboa Park and San Diego in general
- Willing to complete 20 hours of orientation training
- Willing to attend additional meetings as required
- Willing to complete a background check and fingerprinting (at no cost to volunteer)
- Willing to work four 4-hour shifts per month (with exceptions)
- Able to make a 2-year time commitment, however a 1-year time commitment is acceptable
- Able to remain standing/walking outdoors during much of the 4-hour shift (10AM to 2PM)
- Able to set up / take down the shade structure and chairs (stored in nearby building) with help of partner
We’re actively recruiting for this position—apply today!