We can’t wait to see you!
The historic Central Mesa of Balboa Park is OPEN to visitors (face mask and social distancing required):
- All Balboa Park parking lots are open at full capacity.
- The Visitors Center Gift Shop and pop-up Visitors Center kiosk in the Plaza de Panama are open daily from 10am to 4:30pm.
- The Prado Restaurant is open Tues.–Sat., 11:30am–8pm; Sun., 11:30am–5pm
- The Prado Perk is open Mon–Thu, 10am–2pm; Fri–Sun, 10am–4pm
- The Japanese Friendship Garden Tea Pavilion is open 11am –4pm, Wed.–Sun.
- Panama 66 at The San Diego Museum of Art offers outdoor dining Sun.–Tues. and Thurs., 11am–3pm; Fri.–Sat.,11am–8pm; closed Wed.
- Café in the Park in the Casa de Balboa, open beginning April 16, Fri.–Sun.
- Daniel’s Coffee Cart in Spanish Village is open Tues–Sun., 9:30am to 4pm.
- WorldBeat Café at the WorldBeat Center is open Fri.–Sun., 11am–6pm.
Balboa Park museums and attractions:
- Balboa Park Public Gardens — OPEN (except Botanical Building)
- Centro Cultural de la Raza — OPEN (Fri.–Sun.)
- Fleet Science Center — OPEN (Fri.–Mon.)
- Japanese Friendship Garden — OPEN (7 days/week)
- Marston House & Gardens — CLOSED until July 1; Gift Shop opens May 1 (Sat.–Sun.)
- Mingei International Museum — CLOSED until Sept. 3
- Museum of Photographic Arts — OPEN (Fri.–Sun.)
- Museum of Us — OPEN beginning April 21 (Wed.–Sun.)
- San Diego Air and Space Museum — OPEN (7 days/week)
- San Diego Art Institute — OPEN beginning April 23 (Thurs.–Sun.)
- San Diego Automotive Museum — OPEN (Tues.–Sun.)
- San Diego Comic Con Museum — CLOSED until fall 2021
- San Diego History Center — OPEN (Fri.–Sun.)
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum — OPEN (Fri.–Sun.)
- San Diego Natural History Museum — OPEN (Thurs.–Mon.)
- San Diego Zoo — OPEN (7 days/week; reservations required)
- Spanish Village Art Center — OPEN (7 days/week)
- The San Diego Museum of Art — OPEN (Thurs.–Tues.)
- The Veterans Museum at Balboa Park — OPEN
- Timken Museum of Art — CLOSED until fall 2021
- United Nations Gift Shop — OPEN (Tues.–Sun.)
Check each organization’s website for hours and details.
Note: All openings are subject to change following guidance of local and state government and health officials.
Many Balboa Park recreational facilities are OPEN:
- Play areas for children
- Dog parks
- Walking trails
- Balboa Park Golf Course
- Balboa Park Disc Golf
- Balboa Tennis Club
- Archery ranges
- Bocce lanes
- Lawn bowling
- Horseshoe pits
On Hold or Cancelled
Spreckels Organ Pavilion Concerts: Tune in to their weekly online concert
Please continue to follow state and local guidelines regarding groups, sports activities, physical distancing and mask wearing to ensure everyone’s safe and healthy enjoyment of San Diego’s favorite attraction.
In summer 2020, the Balboa Park Conservancy’s volunteer programs received a major boost when the City of San Diego’s corps of 80 volunteers who tend the Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden were incorporated into its growing volunteer ranks. Among this group of...
Though things are starting to get back to normal, it may feel too soon to travel to bustling vacation hotspots, like amusement parks, resort beaches, or popular night spots. Balboa Park has been here for you this past year, and it is still your ideal staycation...
Nonprofits Friends of Balboa Park and the Balboa Park Conservancy have voted in favor of merging the two nonprofits into one entity to serve the best interests of the park, effective July 1, 2021. The merger will leverage each organization’s strengths, combine...
Balboa Park Visitors Center & Gift Shop
The best way to begin your park adventure is at the Balboa Park Visitors Center, a program of the Balboa Park Conservancy.
Hours: 10am – 4:30pm Daily
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day (10am–2pm on Dec. 24), and New Year’s Day
- Brochures and maps
- Balboa Park Explorer Passes
- Discounted tickets to SD Zoo/Safari Park, Old Town Trolley Tours, USS Midway
- Self-guided audio tours
- Transportation information
- Dining recommendations
Phone: (619) 239-0512 x8
Address: 1549 El Prado, Balboa Park, San Diego, California, 92101
Is anything in the park open?
Yes. Parts of Balboa Park are open for passive purposes only:
The Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course is open as of April 27, but tee times must be booked in advance and other guidelines must be followed. Visit the Parks and Recreation website for details and to make reservations. The Morley Field disc golf course and tennis courts are also currently open.
Beginning June 12, the Central Mesa and surrounding parking lots will be open. Museums, public buildings, recreational facilities in Balboa Park remain closed until further notice.
I lost/found an item recently in the park. Whom should I call?
If you’ve lost or found a valuable item in the park, contact the Visitors Center at (619) 239-0512, or bring a found item to the Balboa Park Visitors Center during regular business hours.
When do you expect the park, museums, and other attractions to reopen?
We cannot predict when the COVID-19 situation will be resolved enough for authorities to allow groups of people to gather and thus when the park can reopen. Please check the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding the park’s museums and other organizations. Also visit https://www.sandiego.gov/coronavirus for updates from the city.
Is anyone taking care of the gardens and trees in the park during this time of park closures?
Yes, crews and gardeners from Parks and Recreation continue to maintain the lawns, gardens, and trees in the park. In addition, some construction projects begun prior to the COVID-19 situation continue, such as the renovation of the Mingei International Museum and construction of the newest International Cottages.
I belong to a club/organization that meets in one of the park buildings on a regular basis. How will I know if we are still meeting?
Many organizations have been meeting remotely since March. Please check with your particular club or organization directly for more information.
Is the green tram still running in the park?
The City of San Diego will likely resume free tram service in the park once there is enough need for transporting visitors from the Inspiration Point parking lot on a regular basis.
I purchased season tickets for the Old Globe Theatre. What will happen to the rest of their season?
Please go to the Old Globe Theatre’s website for more information.
Will the Spreckels Organ still offer free concerts on Sundays?
No, per the city directive, the Spreckels Organ will not hold public concerts in the park. They are planning to record and offer concerts online. For more information, visit https://spreckelsorgan.org/.
What We’re Reading
Trees in Paradise: A California History by Jared Farmer
Recommended by Tomás Herrera-Mishler, President & CEO
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Recommended by Gabrielle Garcia, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Dear Balboa Park…
We’re looking for you to submit your favorite stories, photos, and memories of Balboa Park. We’ll share your submissions on our social media and website. Now more than ever is a time to reflect on the gifts the park gives us and why we all cherish it so much.
Submit your treasured memories, snaps, and love notes to Balboa Park by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.