We can’t wait to see you!
The historic Central Mesa of Balboa Park is OPEN to visitors:
- All Balboa Park parking lots are open at full capacity.
- The Visitors Center Gift Shop and pop-up Visitors Center kiosk in the Plaza de Panama are open daily from 10am to 4pm.
- The Prado Restaurant is open Mon.–Tues., 12pm–3pm, and Wed.–Sun., 12 noon until late afternoon, providing on-site dining and picnics to-go. Also, open Friday-Saturday at 6pm for special prix-fixe “Evenings on the Prado” menu, by reservation only.
- The Prado Perk is open Mon.–Tues., 10am–2pm, and Wed.–Sun., 10am–4pm.
- The Japanese Friendship Garden Tea Pavilion is open 10:30am -3:30pm, Wednesday-Sunday.
- Panama 66 at The San Diego Museum of Art is open 7 days a week, 11am–4pm, for patio dining and grab-and-go sandwiches and salads.
- Daniel’s Coffee Cart in Spanish Village is open Tuesday-Sunday, 9:30am to 4pm.
- WorldBeat Café at the WorldBeat Center is open for grab-and-go Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 11am-6pm.
Select Balboa Park museums and attractions are OPEN or will be opening soon as follows:
- Centro Cultural de la Raza — OPEN
- San Diego Air and Space Museum — OPEN
- San Diego Automotive Museum — OPEN
- Japanese Friendship Garden — OPEN
- San Diego Zoo — OPEN
- Balboa Park gardens — OPEN (except Botanical Building)
- United Nations Gift Shop — OPEN
- Fleet Science Center — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Natural History Museum — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum — OPEN
- Museum of Photographic Arts — CLOSED until Nov.
- San Diego Art Institute — CLOSED until Nov.
- San Diego History Center — OPEN
- The San Diego Museum of Art — OPEN
- Museum of Us — OPEN
- Timken Museum of Art — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- Spanish Village Art Center — OPEN
- The Veterans Museum at Balboa Park — OPEN
Some museums are open on a limited schedule. Check each organization’s website for hours and details.
Note: All openings are subject to change following guidance of local and state government and health officials.
Many Balboa Park recreational facilities are OPEN:
- Play areas for children
- Balboa Park Golf Course
- Balboa Park Disc Golf
- Balboa Tennis Club
- Archery ranges
- Bocce lanes
- Lawn bowling
- Horseshoe pits
On Hold or Cancelled
Halloween Family Day is cancelled this year.
Spreckels Organ Pavilion Concerts: Tune in to their weekly online concert
Please continue to follow state and local guidelines regarding groups, sports activities, physical distancing and mask wearing to ensure everyone’s safe and healthy enjoyment of San Diego’s favorite attraction.
On Friday, October 9, 2020, Friends of Balboa Park and the Balboa Park Conservancy co-hosted a Mayoral Forum with the Voice of San Diego, focused on the needs and future of Balboa Park. Both of our organizations are committed to serving the best interests of the park...
When Sue Varga was hired in 2006, she felt she could make a difference. After 15 years at PR and marketing agencies, and several years at the San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA), she knew she brought with her a host of community, media, and business contacts eager to...
It is with great sadness that the Balboa Park Conservancy announces the passing last month of one of our remarkable volunteers, Anita Mercado, after a long battle with cancer. Anita began as a volunteer at the Balboa Park Visitors Center Information Desk in 2012. She...
Balboa Park Visitors Center & Gift Shop
The best way to begin your park adventure is at the Balboa Park Visitors Center, a program of the Balboa Park Conservancy.
New Hours: 10am – 4pm Daily
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day
- Brochures and maps
- Balboa Park Explorer Passes
- Discounted tickets to SD Zoo/Safari Park, Old Town Trolley Tours, USS Midway
- Custom walking tours
- Transportation information
- Dining recommendations
Phone: (619) 239-0512
Address: 1549 El Prado, Balboa Park, San Diego, California, 92101
Is anything in the park open?
Yes. Parts of Balboa Park are open for passive purposes only:
The Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course is open as of April 27, but tee times must be booked in advance and other guidelines must be followed. Visit the Parks and Recreation website for details and to make reservations. The Morley Field disc golf course and tennis courts are also currently open.
Beginning June 12, the Central Mesa and surrounding parking lots will be open. Museums, public buildings, recreational facilities in Balboa Park remain closed until further notice.
I lost/found an item recently in the park. Whom should I call?
If you’ve lost or found a valuable item in the park, contact the Visitors Center at (619) 239-0512, or bring a found item to the Balboa Park Visitors Center during regular business hours.
When do you expect the park, museums, and other attractions to reopen?
We cannot predict when the COVID-19 situation will be resolved enough for authorities to allow groups of people to gather and thus when the park can reopen. Please check the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding the park’s museums and other organizations. Also visit https://www.sandiego.gov/coronavirus for updates from the city.
Is anyone taking care of the gardens and trees in the park during this time of park closures?
Yes, crews and gardeners from Parks and Recreation continue to maintain the lawns, gardens, and trees in the park. In addition, some construction projects begun prior to the COVID-19 situation continue, such as the renovation of the Mingei International Museum and construction of the newest International Cottages.
I belong to a club/organization that meets in one of the park buildings on a regular basis. How will I know if we are still meeting?
Many organizations have been meeting remotely since March. Please check with your particular club or organization directly for more information.
Is the green tram still running in the park?
The City of San Diego will likely resume free tram service in the park once there is enough need for transporting visitors from the Inspiration Point parking lot on a regular basis.
I purchased season tickets for the Old Globe Theatre. What will happen to the rest of their season?
Please go to the Old Globe Theatre’s website for more information.
Will the Spreckels Organ still offer free concerts on Sundays?
No, per the city directive, the Spreckels Organ will not hold public concerts in the park. They are planning to record and offer concerts online. For more information, visit https://spreckelsorgan.org/.
What We’re Reading
Trees in Paradise: A California History by Jared Farmer
Recommended by Tomás Herrera-Mishler, President & CEO
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Recommended by Gabrielle Garcia, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Dear Balboa Park…
We’re looking for you to submit your favorite stories, photos, and memories of Balboa Park. We’ll share your submissions on our social media and website. Now more than ever is a time to reflect on the gifts the park gives us and why we all cherish it so much.
Submit your treasured memories, snaps, and love notes to Balboa Park by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.