We can’t wait to see you!
The historic Central Mesa of Balboa Park is OPEN to visitors (face mask and social distancing required):
- All Balboa Park parking lots are open at full capacity.
- The Visitors Center Gift Shop and pop-up Visitors Center kiosk in the Plaza de Panama are open daily from 10am to 4pm.
- The Prado Restaurant is CLOSED.
- The Prado Perk is open Mon–Thu, 10am–2pm; Fri–Sun, 10am–4pm
- The Japanese Friendship Garden Tea Pavilion is open for takeout only 10:30am –3:30pm, Wednesday-Sunday.
- Panama 66 grab-and-go cart at The San Diego Museum of Art is open for takeout only: Mon.–Tues., Thurs., 11am–3pm; closed Wed.; Fri.–Sat.,11am–6pm; Sun., 11am–4pm.
- Daniel’s Coffee Cart in Spanish Village is open Tuesday-Sunday, 9:30am to 4pm.
- WorldBeat Café at the WorldBeat Center is open for grab-and-go Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 11am–6pm.
Balboa Park museums and attractions:
- Centro Cultural de la Raza — CLOSED (gift store open Fri.–Sun. through Dec. 20)
- San Diego Air and Space Museum — CLOSED (gift store open on weekends)
- San Diego Automotive Museum — CLOSED
- Japanese Friendship Garden — OPEN (outdoor areas only)
- San Diego Zoo — CLOSED
- Balboa Park public gardens — OPEN (except Botanical Building)
- United Nations Gift Shop — OPEN (weekends only)
- Fleet Science Center — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Natural History Museum — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum — CLOSED
- Museum of Photographic Arts — CLOSED
- San Diego Art Institute — CLOSED
- San Diego History Center — CLOSED
- The San Diego Museum of Art — CLOSED (free sculpture garden open)
- Museum of Us — CLOSED
- Timken Museum of Art — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- Spanish Village Art Center — OPEN
- The Veterans Museum at Balboa Park — CLOSED
Check each organization’s website for hours and details.
Note: All openings are subject to change following guidance of local and state government and health officials.
Many Balboa Park recreational facilities are OPEN:
- Play areas for children
- Balboa Park Golf Course
- Balboa Park Disc Golf
- Balboa Tennis Club
- Archery ranges
- Bocce lanes
- Lawn bowling
- Horseshoe pits
On Hold or Cancelled
Spreckels Organ Pavilion Concerts: Tune in to their weekly online concert
Please continue to follow state and local guidelines regarding groups, sports activities, physical distancing and mask wearing to ensure everyone’s safe and healthy enjoyment of San Diego’s favorite attraction.
Maintaining and enhancing a 1,200-acre urban park to best-in-class levels takes a massive amount of resources. Since becoming the City of San Diego’s private partner to help improve and preserve Balboa Park for present and future generations, the Conservancy has...
Making a commitment to your health and well-being is no longer a new year trend — it’s a balanced approach to living year round. Still, the new year invites us to set intentions and explore new pursuits. What better way to embrace rest and recreation than in Balboa...
Celebrating the holidays this year may be different in a lot of ways. But your favorite park is still here to serve up some extra helpings of seasonal joy. Eating, strolling, shopping, and outdoor adventures are decked with all the holiday trimmings you’ve come to...
Balboa Park Visitors Center & Gift Shop
The best way to begin your park adventure is at the Balboa Park Visitors Center, a program of the Balboa Park Conservancy.
New Hours: 10am – 4pm Daily
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day (10am–2pm on Dec. 24), and New Year’s Day
- Brochures and maps
- Balboa Park Explorer Passes (when museums reopen)
- Discounted tickets to SD Zoo/Safari Park, Old Town Trolley Tours, USS Midway
- Self-guided audio tours
- Transportation information
- Dining recommendations
Phone: (619) 239-0512
Address: 1549 El Prado, Balboa Park, San Diego, California, 92101
Is anything in the park open?
Yes. Parts of Balboa Park are open for passive purposes only:
The Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course is open as of April 27, but tee times must be booked in advance and other guidelines must be followed. Visit the Parks and Recreation website for details and to make reservations. The Morley Field disc golf course and tennis courts are also currently open.
Beginning June 12, the Central Mesa and surrounding parking lots will be open. Museums, public buildings, recreational facilities in Balboa Park remain closed until further notice.
I lost/found an item recently in the park. Whom should I call?
If you’ve lost or found a valuable item in the park, contact the Visitors Center at (619) 239-0512, or bring a found item to the Balboa Park Visitors Center during regular business hours.
When do you expect the park, museums, and other attractions to reopen?
We cannot predict when the COVID-19 situation will be resolved enough for authorities to allow groups of people to gather and thus when the park can reopen. Please check the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding the park’s museums and other organizations. Also visit https://www.sandiego.gov/coronavirus for updates from the city.
Is anyone taking care of the gardens and trees in the park during this time of park closures?
Yes, crews and gardeners from Parks and Recreation continue to maintain the lawns, gardens, and trees in the park. In addition, some construction projects begun prior to the COVID-19 situation continue, such as the renovation of the Mingei International Museum and construction of the newest International Cottages.
I belong to a club/organization that meets in one of the park buildings on a regular basis. How will I know if we are still meeting?
Many organizations have been meeting remotely since March. Please check with your particular club or organization directly for more information.
Is the green tram still running in the park?
The City of San Diego will likely resume free tram service in the park once there is enough need for transporting visitors from the Inspiration Point parking lot on a regular basis.
I purchased season tickets for the Old Globe Theatre. What will happen to the rest of their season?
Please go to the Old Globe Theatre’s website for more information.
Will the Spreckels Organ still offer free concerts on Sundays?
No, per the city directive, the Spreckels Organ will not hold public concerts in the park. They are planning to record and offer concerts online. For more information, visit https://spreckelsorgan.org/.
What We’re Reading
Trees in Paradise: A California History by Jared Farmer
Recommended by Tomás Herrera-Mishler, President & CEO
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Recommended by Gabrielle Garcia, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Dear Balboa Park…
We’re looking for you to submit your favorite stories, photos, and memories of Balboa Park. We’ll share your submissions on our social media and website. Now more than ever is a time to reflect on the gifts the park gives us and why we all cherish it so much.
Submit your treasured memories, snaps, and love notes to Balboa Park by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.