UPDATE: September 2, 2020
(Note: All openings are subject to change following guidance of local and state government and health officials.)
The historic Central Mesa of Balboa Park is OPEN to visitors:
- All Balboa Park parking lots are open at full capacity.
- The Visitors Center Gift Shop and pop-up Visitors Center kiosk in the Plaza de Panama are open daily from 10am to 4pm.
- The Prado Restaurant is open Mon.–Tues., 12pm–3pm, and Wednesday–Sunday, 12 noon until late afternoon, providing on-site dining and picnics to-go. Also, open Friday-Saturday at 6pm for special prix-fixe “Evenings on the Prado” menu, by reservation only.
- The Prado Perk is open Mon.–Tues., 10am–2pm, and Wed.–Sun., 10am–4pm.
- The Japanese Friendship Garden Tea Pavilion is open 10:30am -3:30pm, Wednesday-Sunday.
- Panama 66 at The San Diego Museum of Art is open 7 days a week, 11am–4pm, for patio dining and grab-and-go sandwiches and salads.
- Daniel’s Coffee Cart in Spanish Village is open Tuesday-Sunday, 9:30am to 4pm.
- WorldBeat Café at the WorldBeat Center is open for grab-and-go Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 11am-6pm.
Per the County of San Diego Safe Reopening guidelines, most Balboa Park museums and attractions have been ordered closed as of July 7 for a minimum of three weeks:
- Centro Cultural de la Raza — OPEN
- San Diego Air and Space Museum — OPEN
- San Diego Automotive Museum — OPENS Sept. 17
- Japanese Friendship Garden — OPEN
- San Diego Zoo — OPEN
- Balboa Park gardens — OPEN (except Botanical Building)
- United Nations Gift Shop — OPEN
- Fleet Science Center — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Natural History Museum — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum — OPEN
- Museum of Photographic Arts — CLOSED until Nov.
- San Diego Art Institute — CLOSED until Nov.
- San Diego History Center — OPEN
- The San Diego Museum of Art — OPEN
- Museum of Us — OPENS Sept. 16
- Timken Museum of Art — CLOSED through the end of 2020
- Spanish Village Art Center — OPEN
Some museums are open on a limited schedule. Check each organization’s website for hours and details.
Note: All openings are subject to change following guidance of local and state government and health officials.
Many Balboa Park recreational facilities are OPEN:
- Balboa Park Golf Course
- Balboa Park Disc Golf
- Balboa Tennis Club
- Archery ranges
- Bocce lanes
- Lawn bowling
- Horseshoe pits
On Hold or Cancelled:
Food Truck Fridays Look here for updates
Spreckels Organ Pavilion Concerts: Tune in to their weekly online concert
Please continue to follow state and local guidelines regarding groups, sports activities, physical distancing and mask wearing to ensure everyone’s safe and healthy enjoyment of San Diego’s favorite attraction.
UPDATE: June 9, 2020
Beginning Friday, June 12, visitors are once again welcome to explore the historic Central Mesa of Balboa Park.
Balboa Park Conservancy volunteers will be ready to greet visitors at the pop-up Visitors Center kiosk outside the House of Hospitality building each day from 10am to 4pm.
The Prado Restaurant is reopening as well, introducing “grab and go picnic basket” service and bringing back the popular dining spot inside the park’s cultural center, Wednesdays through Sundays, beginning at 12 noon and continuing service to late afternoon. The Japanese Friendship Garden Tea Pavilion and the Prado Perk Coffee Cart will also open on June 12 to serve park visitors. Watch for The Prado’s Summer Beer & Wine Garden coming to the Plaza de Panama soon.
All Balboa Park parking lots will be open at full capacity.
As normal activities gradually resume, the Balboa Park Conservancy encourages park users to follow state and local guidelines regarding physical distancing and mask wearing to ensure everyone’s safe and healthy enjoyment of San Diego’s favorite attraction.
UPDATE: April 21, 2020
Parts of Balboa Park reopen for passive purposes only (walking, jogging, or hiking). This includes:
Grape Street Dog Park
Morley Field Dog Park
Nate’s Point Dog Park
As of April 27, the Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course is open, but walk-ups are not allowed, and tee times must be booked in advance. Visit the Parks and Recreation website for details.
Parking lots, the Central Mesa and museums, and Visitors Center remain CLOSED to the public until further notice. Be sure to follow social distancing and other health guidelines to ensure sustained access to neighborhood parks.
Dear Park Lover,
The Balboa Park Conservancy made this decision in partnership with the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, and follows the County Health Office order and California Department of Public Health’s recommendation that gatherings and events of more than 250 people should either be postponed or cancelled.
We are dedicated to the well being of Balboa Park and all of its visitors. While this is an emerging situation, we will continue to serve as a critical resource for your park experience through our Visitors Center or our online channels.
Along with our park colleagues, we are taking an abundance of caution to provide a safe and healthy visit for all. We encourage the recommended preventive actions to avoid and prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Stay home if you are sick or not feeling well, except to get medical care.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, including after touching doorknobs, using the restroom, before you eat, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face with unwashed hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve, then throw the tissue into the trash.
- Distance yourself from those who are coughing or sick.
- Practice alternative greetings without handshakes or hugs.
We encourage you to check our website regularly and follow our social media accounts for updates or changes in our activities.
Please call the Visitors Center, (619) 239-0512, for updated COVID-19 information as it pertains to Balboa Park.
Thank you for helping us keep our community safe and healthy.
The Balboa Park Conservancy